Monday, March 15, 2010

Was It Just Me?

I normally don't discuss this aspect of my life. I usually blog as my blog is titled - "The Keepville Church Pastor - the lighter side of a Pastor's life". I blog daily events for our family and friends to keep up with what we do in our life. I had one poor soul criticize me for the lack of spiritual depth on my blog. Rather I was told that I was more interested in everything else as opposed to what I needed to, whatever that is. I guess since the http:// had the word church in it, I was obligated to sermonizing and whatever else he wished that I would post. Oh well I guess its not his blog.
-
I don't get theological on here, I don't get philosophical on here, I don't get homiletical on here, I don't get political on here and the list of "-ical's" could be long. The truth be known what I post only represents a small portion of our ministry here at Keepville. That being said of what I don't do...I am going to do. I guess I am sounding like the Apostle Paul the things I don't want to do I find myself doing. So here goes:
-
Is it alright to say that our services were very flat yesterday? I guess when you hear someone say every Sunday that their services are always awesome....it makes you wonder what they are on. After two great Sundays the previous two weeks......yep everyone seemed half asleep. Was it me, the hour lost, or just the normal valley between the mountain top experience? Was it the fact I told them they needed to be doing more than just attending services, but out witnessing and being a light? Was it the fact that we get so much in to a rut that they put it in auto pilot and lull to sleep? Is it the lack of the Pastor jumping up and down and snorting and hollering while preaching? Was it the fact that I had announced we would be raising more money to finish off our building project that "put a wet blanket" on their worship?
-
I guess I can only say even though we did not seemingly have a "Wowser" of a service, I could still sense God's help as we worshiped. Yes I think the hour change had something to do with it. Yes, I think that we are human and we are not always on a high. So we can just pray that God will continue to manifest His presence like He always has. It is the calm consistant presense that is the most enduring.
The folowing was some feed back from my post on:
-
Julia Gurnee I really wanted to pick on you and tease you but decided now isn't the time or place so I'll pass up this prime opportunity.... :-) But, yes, I felt the same way about our services yesterday. I think it was probably mostly because of the time change.
-
David L Stalder Sounds like life to me. The bog lands of the valleys are as dangerous as the steep emotional experiences of the mountain top views. It all causes us to grow incredibly beautiful in our faith and trust in God. :-)
-
David L Stalder Oh! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has flat moments. :-) Thanks for sharing.
-
Scott-Mary Deal Can't appreciate the "up" times without having some down times, Byron...·
-
Valorie Bender Quesenberry Hey, being real is appreciated. We all have those times in worship.
-
Ben Wiford love the honesty! some people are too wrapped up in trying to make themselves look good to admit its not always great.
-
Gabriel Morley "Flat" may only be a feeling. (Usually not that way with a tire.) Charles Spurgeon once preached what he thought was a "flat" message. He was so embarrassed that he exited the side door without greeting people. But he learned later that several people had been saved after the service....If the "flat" is a result of our own carelessness or lack of preparation or whatever, then it's our fault, but if we've tried our best, and it's still "flat", then it's probably just a feeling.
-
Tim Calhoun ....and if it's reeling with hilarity, self-absorbed emotion, bragimonies, attention getting; even so cleverly done as to give the Lord partial credit....if it's about us, our righteousness, our feelings...still flat as a pancake, or worse.give me a quiet, thoughtful, honest crowd, focused on God and His holiness any day...Thanks Byron for being real.
-
Roger N Susann Thawley I think the hour loss of sleep could have played a part. But God id good in the low tide as well as the high. I know a former pastor who is happy that this work is has its doors open. Take heart!
-
Heidi Wengerd Mills I think it was the time change myself...all I wanted to do in church was sleep yesterday!! Gotta have the down times to appreciate the 'high' times:)
-
Scott Rhoades We're human...don't rely on feelings, just be consistent. God will do the rest!

No comments: