Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Alternative Source of Power

I was able to cut a generator out of a motor home several years ago. It had been sitting in my barn buried under many other things needing attention as well. I finished cutting the frame work off of the base and bolted it to the chassis of an old lawnmower. It is an Onan two cylinder motor and I have no clue how many kw it produces. It does have a 30 amp breaker, so it at least put sout that much. I took a gas tank out of another old mower and hooked the fuel line up and wired my tractor battery to it and "Voila" it fired right up. Now I need to give the oil in the reservor changed and a new oil, air, and fuel filters. Now when old man winter, storm, or car wreck knocks out the main power, we will still be able to keep warm.

The kids were pretty impressed.

3 comments:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

If only we would have had that 3 years ago when Alyssa was newborn and it was like 40 degrees in our house because of no electricity for 20+ hours!!!

Julie

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Hey that was fun roasting hot dogs and marshmallows on the "Mr. Heater" that was mounted to our gas grill propane tank.....at least until Alyssa burnt her hand on it.

BJG

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

It was Kendra who burnt her hand. Alyssa was buried under about 5 blankets on my lap in teh recliner for most of that day. She would have only been a few weeks old.

Julie