Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Finally Finished

Last years buck finally made it to the wall about 2 weeks before the next rifle season started. Not bad...I ought to become a taxidermist. At least my timing would be right. I tried the European mount since the rack was not perfect. It is a 10 point(mainframe 8 with two 1" kickers) and had an 18 1/2" inside spread. The left side was back farther than the right (not symmetrical). For about $5.00 what you see is what it cost to mount it. While teaching wood shop at one of the local public schools, one of the boys had cut out the mount base out of oak. He sold it to me for $3.00 (the cost of the wood) and I invested some sandpaper, stain and varnish and finished it. I bleached the skull with Clorox and for my first time of trying to mount one of this nature, I think it turned out pretty good. The picture was taken with my cellphone and has the quality of Tim Calhoun's blog pictures. :)
This is Rod and I with our 10 points last year on the first day by 8:30. The weather was the warmest I have ever seen it on the first day of buck - 70 degrees.

No comments: