Thursday, December 13, 2007

Keeping Rowdy High School Kids Quiet


I had the wonderful privelege of subbing today for learning support. I taught English and Math, tutored a student in Ecology, as part of my inclusions I helped students set up chart and make posters using Word, and then I headed to Algebra I. I had to be there at 2:00. As I opened the door I heard the teacher hollering at the kids to be quiet and listen. She was trying to get them to understand what she was teaching and to pay attention. I quietly asked her if there was any students that needed any assistance.

She said "well if you would help the whole class be quiet I would love it."

"Ok" I said and gave the whole class a proposition: I would arm wrestle the toughest of them and if the one they had chosen won they would have the rest of the period to carry on and talk, if I won they all had to be quiet and listen.

I looked at Mrs. Noble to see what her reaction would be to my proposal and she very emphatically said "Its a deal!"

The class started hollering for a big barreled chested farm kid that was a senior football player and weight lifter that was sitting at the back of the room with a sneer and a cocky grin on his face. I thought at first I made a bad proposition for the teacher and myself. He made his way to the desk and stared me down hard.

What if I lose?

After we positioned on two desks and did both right and left arms, the class turned deathly quiet. I quietly walked out with a nice thank you from Ms. Noble.

This room is located beside mine and I could hear the rumble of them all day...I now am sitting at my desk....the only voice I hear is that of Ms. Nobles. I can't help but chuckle. Whoever said fat old men are wimps. LOL

1 comment: