Saturday, December 8, 2007

Two More Bucks Down




With only a short time too hunt and not enough hunters, logistics and cell phones came into play. As the daylight broke soft snow was falling into the woods. I was parked for the first half hour under a cozy pine tree that kept me free from turning into a snowman. As the snow flakes stopped falling I eased up to the "sweet spot". I named it thus because it is the sweetest place to deer hunt. I had not been at my spot very long when about 150 yards I caught movement. It turned out to be a button buck who bedded down about 120 yards from where I was. I made all kinds of noises to get its reaction. I grunted and bleated and even coughed - it never budged. When gunshots rang out near by it laid there looking around waiting to catch some shut eye. Since I had already filled my doe tag I called my FIL on the phone and asked him to put a little drive on for Dad. I told him where the deer was bedded and had him come in to the woods a certain way. The little buck jumped up and bounded down over the hill to me and ran with in 20 yards, but was moving so fast I could not have gotten a shot if I wanted to. First part accomplished. Now if the deer would continue on down past the "King's Castle" where Dad was sitting. In about 30 seconds I heard the 308 bark and then silence. Then farther away another shot then another. I assumed that he had missed and someone else had shot at it. I found out later while field dressing the deer for the two proud hunters that a half rack had kept moseying around Dad's stand all morning and had disappeared into the pines just shortly before the little button buck had popped out. As it made its way into the opening dad caught right square behind the shoulders and the other buck came running right into the same spot. He said if it had been legal he would have had both his tags filled in 30 seconds. The half rack continued down into the brush and right under my other stand that Jason Wallace was in. The .308's were doing bad things to deer in that hollow this morning. Jason dropped the 3 point with a shot to the neck but quickly made his way to it and gave it another to keep it from suffering. I was very happy when I finally made my way down to the little clearing in the woods and saw two deer laying there ready to be hauled away. I was happy for several reason's. Number One was Jason got a buck which made number 6 off the farm this year. Number Two was that the couple hours Dad was able to hunt proved successful and he could drive back home early in the day. The Third reason was that Kenton, Dad, and I had all filled our tags in the same year. I still have my buck tag to fill, but I may be able to get another doe in flintlock season with it.

No comments: