Sunday, December 9, 2007

Two Men Named Joseph - Men of Character

Joseph and Joseph - two men of character. As I was getting ready for the Christmas season and praying about my sermons I was thinking about a man you and I don't know much about at all. Joseph was Jesus earthly father, although he was not biologically. I have often wondered about him and his character. As I was thinking about developing a sermon for my series on Character of Christians, I had thought about using him to start off the series during the Christmas Advent season and conclude in January with the rest of the series. This also brought to my mind another Joseph - the one down in Egypt. Now there was a man of character. All of the stories in the Bible about those two gos to say one thing - Character is Born and not Worn. It is something that is deep within that can not be easily pulled away like Joseph's coat was. Character is not something we put on so that others can see we are a good person or appear to be a good Christian. Although one may have a great reputation, he may have bad character, and one that has received a blemish on his reputation can still maintain his character despite what circumstances or people think. We need heroes, people who stand for what is right even when no one is looking (or may I add when they think no one is looking).

1 comment:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

There seems to be a shortage of men of character nowadays. It is sad.

Julie Gurnee