Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Chickens and My Neighbors

I was about a 1/2 mile away from our home passing out Christmas treats to our neighbors when I was told by one of them that my chicken was flying up and roosting in their tree at night and pecking around their house and barn by day.

"My chicken?" I did not realize that I had a chicken.

"Oh Yes! Actually 2 of my chickens." they said.

Okay so why are they my chickens? My mind began to grind and rattle. Oh yes I had forgot about "my chickens". Late last summer a friend of mine asked me if I wanted some chickens and sometime late September he had them all boxed up for me to pick up. I had the chickens a total of 5 minutes that day. I drove straight to Hatcher's Game Preserve and dumped them in one of his pens. That was so long ago and so many things have happened since that I totally forgot about them.

About 2 weeks ago he mentioned my 3 chickens. What 3 chickens? I had dropped off 5. He only had 3. I told him I had dropped off 5, but 2 must have wandered off. I forgot about all of this until my brain started to finally engage. So the lost was found....even if I did not even know it. It is great to have such good neighbors. I guess I will have to go today and round them up and get them back in a pen.

No comments: