Sunday, October 5, 2008

Another Pastor Appreciation Service

The service was like any other service. After the offering I turned it over to Tom Rodgers to announce the special song. The ushers stayed up front...weird. Then things began to happen like I had never experienced before. To be honest I have never been in a church barefoot let alone in front of people. Tom requested we leave the sanctuary and when we were called down the front aisle they had moved the podium and had two chairs waiting. We sat down and Tom began to read scripture from John chapter 13. Then the ushers brought in tubs of water after we were instructed to take off our shoes. Easy for Julie....fortunately for her a lady had told her to take off her hose. She was bewildered but during prayer had left to do so. She still had no clue until we were sitting up front and the scripture was being read. I will admit that I would have been very perplexed to say the least.

Then Ilene Randall, our first convert at Keepville who came up with the idea, and Blaine Cosner helping her began to take the wash cloths and wring the water over our feet. It was very relaxing and special. (The water was nice and warm.) Looking back we should have been doing it to their feet and should have offered after they were done. A simple thing and yet God's presence was so real as the people of God were humbling themselves with love to their Pastor and his wife. A truly precious thing. (Notice the electric box inches away from all the water. LOL)

Andy and Becky Crouch were asked to come visit for the service and to sing while Ilene and Blaine were attending us. Very beautiful music. Both we and the congregation enjoyed their ministry.

Our children were very intrigued by what was happening.

So there I am in my bare feet ready to preach...actually I did put my boots back on. Everything was orderly and everyone knew exactly what to do. The people sensed God's presence. I think I will add it to my top 10 list of special events in my life.

2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

The service was very moving for the congregation, too. I'd never seen anything like it.

The Canfield Family said...

What a neat idea! Your truly have a pastors heart and are much loved by your people.
I am catching up on blogs, and I do want to say thanks for your notes of encouragement and prayers during my surgery, and now recouperation. It is much appreciated!