Sunday, October 5, 2008

Scouting for Deer

Matt English invited us for a deer scouting trip. Anytime someone says deer I am there. He has been coming to our church and I was glad to be able to spend some time with him. We ambled around the woods behind his home for a few hours. Can't say I saw a huge buck or any signs of one, because if I did everyone would be climbing trees back there. Lets just say we signs of life in the woods.
Kenton eating wild apples we found. We tried about 4 different varieties through the woods. One tree was down in the middle of a very wet and thick piece of vegetation. We crawled through on deer highways and popped out at the base of a rather large apple tree. Those yellow apples were some of the largest and sweetest wild apples I had ever eaten. I am sure that many years ago an apple core was tossed there by a wandering hunter. It definitely was not planted based on location. Never the less they were good and we ate a half dozen and then mozied on down into the woods farther.

Matt English and Kenton just after spotting a "monster" black squirrel.

No comments: