Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Buddy Dale's Bear

Congratulations Dale!!
Here is his story!

Byron,
Dar said you wanted to see picture of my bear, here are a couple, It was a small one, only weighing 130#, WV has a bear study they have been doing for several years and plan to continue for a quite a while. They trap wild bear tranquilize them and do studies on them and then attach a radio color on them (as you see in picture) so in winter they can den them and see how many cubs they have as well as check on there weight, this one was aged and was 6 years old. Keep in mind I had never saw a bear in the wild before, was out (on 4-wheeler) before daylight behind a buddy, we reached the area we were hunting just as it was cracking dawn, we parked and he went to his stand and I went on around mountain a 1/4 of a mile or so, I knew sometimes the bear would be in trees, of coarse I'm all tensed up as I'm walking out an old drag road used several years earlier for logging reasons as a squirrel scampers away in a tree above... well yea you guessed it, I jumped clear outa my boots, I got seated and saw nothing but deer, got up once and took a lil stroll then back to set till dark, as dark was approaching I got up and headed back to the 4 wheeler, as I got back close to where it was I saw a black shadow, I thought NO it cant be, as I watched I could make out the form of a bear, I scoped it and saw I was indeed correct, they have to be at least 100# I looked and saw OH YEA, it is, so I sent that Barns triple shock X bullet sailing toward her, she went over backward and ran about 40 yds to where she died, as I got to her I thought she might be under the 100# but we took her to camp anyway, and we decided she was a little over, we weighed her the next evening and field dressed she went 98# and they say 30 pounds for guts, She was weighed last winter at 125# so she was legal.
Deer gun season comes in here Mon. I am on a job but am taking the first day to hunt, I have killed a doe and a 12" spread 6 pt. already with the bow, there is a 13-15 inch 8 pt Ive been wnted but havnt outsmarted him yet, so in hopes that Michael or I one will, Michael will be where Ive saw him at 3 times already, however Im setting in my normal 'honey hole' and there is several silver doller sized oakes rubed preatuy good there, so thing he may be in there or maybe one a little larger, we'll see, Michael can only hunt till 10:00 he has to be at work at noon, all 3 times Ive seen this buck its been right after daylight, so maybe...

So how is hunting going at your house? e-mail me when you can... and happy hunting.. be safe... Dale Durst

No comments: