Friday, November 28, 2008

My First Black Squirrel

I have helped Kenton get several of these and with him had the opportunity for many others, but were unsuccessful. As we set up Papa Jack for a squirrel drive, we made a big circle while he set up under a cluster of nests. Kenton squeezed my hand and stopped me on a dime and there was a black squirrel running up in a pine tree. I gave him the gun to make the shot, but he could not get one puled off before the squirrel leaped from the tree and ran up another on about 40 yards away. It was a little far for the 410, but I took a crack. After the shot went off the squirrel fell of the tree and another black squirrels ran off from the same spot. If I had my 11-87 I would have gotten two black squirrels. That was good, now we can have more black squirrels next year. If you notice the squirrel it was not quite dead and shortly after this picture it started running in mid air...it died shortly there after.

When we got back to Dad we went up the ravine where we heard some red's chattering. Dad got the first one.


Kenton got the second one. We saw two more, but saved them for repopulating for next year.

Since 1985 on Thanksgiving day(-ish) we continue the annual Durfee family tradition. This makes the 24th year for me. All but one year we have taken game (grouse, pheasant, rabbit, and squirrel).


No comments: