Tuesday, August 12, 2008

WD Just Left Me....

Flashback to a year ago.....

My dear old tractor went back to it's original home. I had rewired it and tuned it up. The next item on the agenda was carburator rebuild. While it was out being rebuilt for cheaper than I had bought the rebuild kit for....its former owner offered to buy it back. It had been her father's and was sold at an estate auction. She had many memories as a child on the old Allis Chalmers tractor. Since the carburator was off we towed it about 4 miles so it could have some additional work done to it. In the process of restoring it I found a tooth broke in the rear end that drives the PTO. We towed it to a machine shop that was going to split it and put in the new gear.

Here is Donna "steering" it while being towed.

My view...with the help of a good neighbor stopping traffic on two intersections.

Chuck is a great neighbor and calls me his spiritual godfather. I count it an honor.



She decided that she wanted to drive my tractor the three miles back home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Byron--Nice to see the old tractor. And how kind of you to sell it back. We have my grandfather's old Farmall H. It is 3 years older than me! And I understand the many memories connected with it. How kind of you to understand. When God brought us here to our farm, Gramp sold it to us, to the great surprise of my Gram. She always said if it was a choice between her or his tractor-----she'd probably be the first to go! ----maryh