Saturday, February 23, 2008

An Almost Impromptu Funeral



In speech class both in high school and college we practised impromptu speeches. As a pastor there has only been about 2 times I have had to do that. Early this morning (2 AM) I got home to find out that a brother of gentleman from our church had passed away and the viewing was at 10:00 with the funeral following at 11:00. I arrived around 10:30 and begin to visit with the family. As 11:00 neared I wanted to leave, but felt impressed to stay since the funeral was to start in a few minutes. As everyone became silent and sat there, I looked around for the pastor and could not see him. I figured he must be in the office ready to appear. By 5 after which seemed to drag on for an hour of ominous silence I begin to wonder what the hold up was. The year before almost to the day I had a funeral in the same parlor where we waited 15 minute for a daughter to show up because she was getting her hair done. I figured they must be waiting on the family to arrive. Then after 10 long minutes had passed I saw a few looking my way and whispering....Ah there is no pastor. I got up and made my way to the directors office and was immediately asked if I could have the funeral. To make along story short I asked for a bible which they managed to find a beat up old Gideon Bible. I grabbed a sheet of paper from the fax machine and began to write down verses of scripture and search through the Bible. I was handed a newspaper obituary and in 3 minutes I was ready. The director said we would wait 2 more minutes and wait till 11:15. I was praying not for myself but that the other pastor would arrive. My prayers were answered. At 11:15 when we were about to walk out he bounded in the door straightening his tie and apologizing profusely. I wiped the sweat from my brow and got seated for the 19 minute sermon and eulogy. I believe it was the shortest funeral I have ever witnessed. We were being dismissed by 11:34. All is well that ends well. I think on an impromptu I could have given a longer service. Then again, maybe the family was just as happy for the short version.

No comments: