Sunday, July 27, 2008

Another Reason.....

....why I am dead set against alcoholic beverages and the consumption thereof. I can not condone anything that scriptures put a great condemnation against. When the Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Thessalonica he gave them instruction for dis-fellowshipping with those that get drunk. The question then falls what is drunk. Everyone has there own standard and the state has theirs. Why bother? I came to a conclusion after much studying of scripture, that all though the Bible never teaches total abstinence as God's requirement of all His people, I concluded that the production, sale, and use of a beverage alcohol (and any other addictive or mind altering drugs) are incompatible with biblical principles.

God was good to two of my congregants and their friends as they traveled home last night. A drunk ran into the back of them at 55mph. It usually is the one drunk that never gets hurt and walks away while others suffer or die. Fortunately God was good and Buddy and Lisa were able to leave St. Vincents hospital in Erie at 4:00 AM with only sore necks and bodies. Thank You God!

1 comment:

The Canfield Family said...

Interestingly enough, this was the discussion in our family devotions this evening. I know too many people who were killed by drunk drivers.

Very often when I am checking out in the drug or grocery store, the person in front of me will be buying a HUGE case of beer. When I get up to the cashier and they ask me how I am, I will say, "I was doing fine until I saw the person ahead of me buying all that beer. Do you know anyone who was killed by a drunk driver?? (usually answered in the negative). It you did, you would never want to sell that stuff".

It usually sobers them up and gets them thinking.