Saturday, July 26, 2008

Salt Lake City, Utah

I will try to get caught back up on this while trying to get my grass cut, my school work caught up, church work, and other miscellaneous items. My phone has been ringing off the hook and people have stopped by to say hello and ask about our trip. OK back to our trip......
Just before we landed in Salt Lake the plane banked around a huge smoke cloud coming from a forest fire below. At 36,000 feet it had made a pretty good sized cloud. You can see it was a small contained fire. I just am curious to know how large it was from the ground.

We had a 2.5 hour layover in Salt Lake and my wife's friend Erica gave us a grand tour of downtown Salt Lake City. She took us to eat at a neat little restaurant called Apollo Burgers. A charcoal broiled Greek joint. The funny thing was that it was run by a bunch of Mexicans. Like the sign advertised "A little bit different and a whole lot better!" If I am ever back in Salt Lake I will stop and eat there again.

Here is a self portrait of my beautiful wife and I in Apollo's.

Julie and Erica catching up on all the latest news that they had not discussed since their last collaboration. They might have been just in the last couple of days. Nevertheless they chatted about the things women do while I busied myself with snapping pictures of everything around me.

Here is the Apollo Burger!! A huge sandwich loaded with hamburger, roast beef, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onions, melted cheese, sauce, and maybe a lot more and only maybe a little less. I just know that it was GOOD!


After eating we zoomed through downtown Salt Lake (so fast I could only get 30 pictures instead of 300). Here is a place I will stop back to see. The Genealogical Society of Utah building - home to the largest amassment (is that a word?) of records of every one's ancestors.

The HUGE Mormon temple with the gold statue of the prophet Moroni perched on top of the tallest spire.
The Utah state capitol building. Sitting right in the middle of a desert. The streets were laid out in very neat squares. Erica informed us that no buildings could be built that would be taller than the tip of the dome on this building.

No comments: