Monday, July 28, 2008

Stone Houses - Dot Lake Alaska

Before leaving for Alaska, I call Justin Hosier and asked what was interesting around Dot Lake since he spent his growing up years there. He replied "The Stone Houses, If you don't see anything else, you have to go see them." The Stone Houses ended up being a trail ride round trip of 19.2 miles over rugged trails. It was well worth as you can see.
What a privilege it was to chauffeur Miss Alyssa Miller on our expedition.



All ready for the trip. Roger Ridenour, James Marchand, Jason Dodson, Duane Newton, myself, and Alyssa Miller.







A few steep hills. We were riding the ridge of a mountain.

Ptarmigan - He has one blade of grass he thinks he is hiding behind.





Jason filming a trip through the tundra.



Bro. Betters 4 wheeler was overheating.



Waiting for the motor to cool down.





To keep Duane from passing out, I fed him packets of peanuts from our plane trip.





Our first glimpse of the Stone Houses.



A little closer and the trail got rough enough, Alyssa started hiking.












The Whirlpool au Naturale.








Another set of stone houses in the distance.





Perspective of how far away they were.


Enjoying the scenery. Unfortunately the clouds were covering the snow covered mountains and we only got a glimpse of them when the clouds were starting to lift just as we were leaving. On the other side of this huge boulder we were sitting on was 70'+ straight down to the ground.



The crew....I propped my camera on a 3" ledge right where Roger has his foot in the picture above, shimmed it with a few stones and the camera strap, set the timer and hopped across to the other side and captured this photo.


Sitting in the Stone Jacuzzi.

We all have our moments of acting retarded. At least some of use recognize and admit. Others are in a constant state of denial. Here I was giving my best impression of "Punxsatawney Phil". Since it was so cold in the middle of July I was hoping not to see my shadow thus making warm weather break out for the rest of the trip. Unfortunately you will see a shadow on my coat. Yep it stayed cold the rest of the trip.

James spots another stone mountain for "us" to climb.

If I had been watching what I ate that morning I may have been able to squeeze through.... unfortunately the biscuits and gravy was so good....I had a second helping. And it did nothing in helping me go up that way.



You can just start to see the mountains covered with snow just as we were leaving. The camera did not see as well as I did. You can see how close we are to the Alaskan Range high elevation mountains.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip and seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Mamabear said...

I am SOO glad I wasn't there. Alyssa is too.
Amazing that 5 grown men can't keep track of one 12 yr old girl long enough to keep her off a 70 ft. cliff!
I knew when I let her on that 4wheeler that it was a mistake! :-D