Sunday, January 6, 2008

Playing Vet

When you marry a farm gal you get lots of experience with bovine. Over the last almost 14 years I have helped do everything from pulling calves(helping deliver for those of you who don't know - and I won't even explain what a come-a-long has to do with it either), burning horns, giving shots, banding them (and not just their tails), giving them ear tags, surgery's, toggling them for twisted stomachs, milking.....I think you get the point.

Giving shots is very interesting. Most of the time you have to get them into the headlocks at the feed bunk or in the milking parlor stall so they don't run away with the needle still stuck in them. Calves....well you just have to back them into a corner or let them eat out of a feed bucket or so I thought. The task took about 5 minutes and they never knew what kind of bee stung them. Well, actually Dell might have he was looking pretty hard at trying to read what the contents of my bottle was. I guess since he hasn't been to school yet he can't read. :) Here are a few of the pics that Julie took.

Dell is looking pretty hard to read what is printed on the bottle.


Dell got away first try.

One down and one to go.

I thought giving the shot to Porter while he was eating would work - Yeah right!

He nicely backed into the corner and let me finish.

Now that Kenton saw how easy it was he can give the second round in two weeks.

No comments: